By building a cone with the paper, we begun experimenting in how to form these intricate designs…
The first attempt didn’t really work (at all…)
We then thought more about why the patterns might form in the bath, and with each go the patterns started to develop.
Something that made a big difference was the type of mud we used. The mud we collected from Regent’s Park was very dark, thick and the patterns formed were very pronounced.
The mud from the park opposite the studio was lighter, drier and made much more intricate, small patterns.
The next step for the sediment patterns is to make them bigger and continue experimenting with different papers and muds. We want them to be really immersive works, completely engulfing the viewer into the detail and intricacy of them.